Traveling with weed can be a risky, yet fun experience-
especially when you’re on a long road trip. Summer is approaching and you might find yourself hitting the road with your best pals! I have traveled over 15 thousand road trip miles since I obtained my drivers license in 2009. A vast majority of these trips I was carrying the ganj! I have crossed through some of the sketchiest places to consume cannabis and be caught (Virginia,Texas, Oklahoma to name a few). If you’re caught as a visitor- that’s even worse! This is exactly why I have decided to touch base on this!
I don’t ever want you to stop exploring! – Life is too short to stay in one spot for too long 🙂 I don’t think you should have to chose between medicating, traveling and freedom. When you travel- you become the ultimate story teller! You see things you never thought existed- you experience some of the wildest views- things a cam
era and computer screen could never do justice for. You meet amazing people with admirable ways of speaking, walking and dressing- everything is just different and it’s good for the soul! Traveling the world makes you realize that you can live off of very little! You can quite literally carry everything you need in your backpack- or your car! You can “parking lot camp” (blog about this later*) shower at truck stops- you can essentially ball on a budget dude!
I have compiled a short little check list of shit you really need to worry about when it comes to traveling with our girl MaryJane- no putting these things off!
Please Note: I DO NOT condone consuming cannabis and driving and the only 100% sure way to be safe while driving with cannabis is- NOT TO BRING ANY! Cannabis is still a schedule 1 drug according to the Federal Government- traveling over state lines with cannabis is also really illegal. By reading this further- you are agreeing with these statements and are aware.
Now that I am not liable for whatever you stoners do with this information- let’s begin.
✓ Make sure your tags, title, car insurance and drivers license are all in order.
✓ Keep Registration, proof of insurance and your license somewhere they are easily accessible. Somewhere you will not be stashing any joints- blunt wrappers- lighters with dirty bottoms- anything that can produce a new smell when you open it up!
✓ Inspect all vehicle lights frequently- if not change them all before leaving. *Tip: turn your emergency blinkers on to check all of your blinker lights. Make sure to hit the high beams, low beams, fog lights, brake lights, tail lights- even the tag lights. Everything needs to be Gucci. You do not want to give the fuzz any reason to stop you!
Those are all mandatory. Regardless if you are carrying weed or not, ya know? Let’s move into more advice.
• ALWAYS DRIVE THE SPEED LIMIT. Seriously DON’T FUCK AROUND! Speeding is a driving stoner’s biggest downfall! But let’s be real- if you’re smacked you’re probably not gonna be driving fast. You really don’t NEED to go fast when you’re road tripping anyways. Enjoy the ride- drive the speed limit or the fuzz could get you! This is my number one recommendation for you. If you’re a speed demon do yourself a favor and don’t bring a bunch of weed.
• Do not hot box your vehicle. This is so fucking stupid. WHY DO YOU NEED TO HOT BOX A MOVING CAR? OH that’s right, YOU DON’T.
You shouldn’t even do this shit if you’re stationary- but I mean that would be the best time to do it. Roll the windows down dude! AIR THAT SHIT OUT! The less your car smells like weed- the less you need to worry about. Seriously!
• But if you just can’t help yourself- Ozium will be your best friend! Invest in this- as well as some Visine. Eye drops will give you an extra boost of confidence if you get pulled over- Red eyes are very much so
probable cause to search the vehicle. Add red eyes with a bag of ganja they find- and you have yourself all the makings of a marijuana DUI.
• Pre-Roll joints for the trip. You can keep them in a little cigarette carrier- or you can keep them in a small Tupperware container. The more joints/blunt
s you roll before hand will cut back on the time it will take for you to roll on the road. This will also eliminate any crumbs that may fall onto the ground because you are rolling while cruising. Keep your stash nugs in the trunk.
• Think about bringing an alternative to flower- like a dab pen, tincture or some edibles!
• If you’re like me and you insist on bringing a bong- make sure you bring a carrying case. On my last trip across America I brought my dab rig in a lunch box. It was inconspicuous (especially when I stopped at truck stops and sat at picnic tables) it worked like a charm! I could keep all of my dabs, tools, and the rig in there with no issue.
I would say that it could of fit my torch- but at the time- and for some reason I cannot tell you (probably money) I was driving around with a 5 dollar Walmart propane tank! You know, one of the big green ones. It was ridiculous and could have gotten me in some trouble lol
• Bring a cooler! This is not only gonna save you from stopping a bunch for stoner munchies, but you can get one of those incognito “soda” cans that double as a stash jar! THOSE ARE THE BEST! And pretty budget friendly! Most head shops come with a bunch of different options- to better suit your taste!
• Know your route. I always plan my trips on a map before I head out. You should be aware of what kind of time you’re gonna do if you’re caught with ganja in a state on your route. It would not be unwise to do a google search of the penalties and the maximum amount of cannabis you can carry without it being considered a felony.
• Smoke at pit stops to eliminate any smell in the car.
• Do not litter- only scum bags who don’t care about the earth do that! Besides- if a cop see’s you throwing your cigarette or joint out a window- you’re probably gonna be pulled over. Keep a container to stash that kind of stuff in- then throw it out at rest stops.
• Roach clips really help with those joint/blunt pass offs while driving! (But we aren’t doing that- remember?)
I hope my tips help you cruise groovy! Remember that a little common sense will go a long way! If I come along more tips and tricks, you best believe I will update this post 😀
If you find ourself in a sticky situation with the law- always remain calm and follow directions.
I found this article with some very good general tips for dealing with the police.
1. Always be calm and cool: a bad attitude guarantees a bad outcome.
2. Remain silent: what you don’t say can’t hurt you.
3. You have the right to refuse searches: saying no to searches can’t be held against you.
4. Don’t get tricked: remember, police are allowed to lie to you.
5. Determine if you’re free to go: police need evidence to detain you.
6. Don’t expose yourself: doing dumb stuff in public makes you an easy target.
7. Don’t run: they’ll catch you and make you regret it.
8. Never touch a cop: aggressive actions will only earn you a more aggressive response.
9. Report misconduct: be a good witness.
10. You don’t have to let them in: police need a warrant to enter your home.
Just some pictures from some of my adventures! I have broken so many phones in my life- so I am working on extracting the pictures from them!